I wanted to provide some insight into my process for painting pet portraits (which is pretty much my process for all my paintings).
The willing subject is my male cat BoBo. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them or email me. And, if you are interested in a pet portrait of your very own pet, contact me today!
1) Grisaille underpainting establishes masses of light and shadow.
2) Color block-in to establish initial color relationships and light key.
3) Refinement of color relationships including color variations in light and shade areas.
4) Adding subject specific details and modeling the form.
5) Final details including definition of hard and soft edges, eye and whisker details, and final signature.
BoBo in Repose (Private Collection)
2009, Oil on Canvas on Board, 11 x 14"
Signed upper left - Harding 09'