February 20, 2009

Studio Incamminati















From Left to Right:

Maria with Red Bandanna (Grisaille), 2008,
Oil on Canvas, 20 x 16"
Russell, 2009, Oil on Canvas, 18 x 14"
Stephanie in Kimono, Oil on Linen, 20 x 16"

Stephanie Squared: 2009, Oil on Canvas, 16 x 16"


I'm back at Studio Incamminati for the Winter Portrait Class with Instructor Kerry Dunn.
This is my third consecutive workshop there and I have seen much improvement in my drawing, shape, form, and edges ability.


Our first night is a one-night pose where we develop a grisaille of darks and lights on a neutral toned gray background. The model, Maria, had on a red Bandanna and funky metal earrings.

For the second portrait study, we were to develop a grisaille of the dark (shadow values), and if we had time, start adding several values in the skin tones (lights). Using my grisaille of Russell as my map and under painting, I further developed the skin tones, refined some of the drawing, and added the background and tones in the blue hooded sweatshirt. Total development time was six hours for this painting.

For Stephanie in Kimono, the 1st stage again was a grisaille, which took three hours. On night two, I added the skin tones and developed the colors in her Kimono. I also suggested the background color and worked on the sharp (front of face) and lost edges (back of head). Total development time was, again, six hours for this painting.

Our final painting is of Stephanie Squared who is wearing a black sweater and purple T-shirt. For more information on the entire 4-step process, see the post above on March 3rd entitled...
Last pose at Studio Incamminati Portrait Workshop

http://jthardingstudio.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails